Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
Museums and Art Galleries in London
London is the main Britain’s tourist attraction. The city is known for its ancient cathedrals, churches and particularly for its art museums and galleries.
The British Museum is one of the world’s greatest treasure-stores. It was founded in 1753 on the collections of Sir Hans Sloane. The money to house them was raised by public lottery. Today the museum has two departments - the Museum of Mankind and the Natural History Museum. The Museum of Mankind includes a vast collection of antiquities, including marbles from the Parthenon, the Rosetta Stone that provided the key to Egyptian hieroglyphics, ancient works of art in stone, bronze and gold, and collections illustrating Western Asiatic civilizations. The Natural History Museum contains 5 principal collections on the history of plants, minerals and the animal kingdom. A series of new permanent exhibitions has been opened in the museum, among them «Dinosaurs and their living relatives».
The National Gallery was founded in 1824 and is one of the greatest museums of art in the world. It is noted for the balance of its collections, all of the important art schools and almost all old masters are represented there. The rich collection of Dutch masters includes 19 Rembrandts.
Of all London’s great art collections, the Tate Gallery is the most rewarding. It doesn’t cover the whole range of art, but has two distinct collections - British painting and a modern foreign collection. The Gallery was opened in 1897 and built by the sugar refiner Sir Henry Tate. He also gave to it works from his own collections of British paintings. The Tate covers all that is significant in British painting from the 16th century to the present day. It houses superb Constables, some of the most important works of William Blake and important 20-century works. It also possesses a unique collection of Turners. The Tate owns more than 280 of his oil paintings. The sculpture collection contains works by Rodin, Epstein, Henry Moore.
Victoria and Albert Museum was opened in 1857 by Prince Albert and included the collections of Museum of Ornamental Art. The art collections grew rapidly. Now they include fine and applied arts of all kinds. They chiefly represent European art and art of the Near and Far East.
Answer the questions:
- What departments are there in the British Museum?
- What does its collection of antiquities include?
- What art schools are represented in the National Gallery?
- Why is the Tate Gallery the most rewarding London’s art collection?
- What are the two distinct collections in the Tate Gallery?
- What unique collection is owned by the Tate?
Translate into English:
- Деньги на создание Британского музея, одной из крупнейших сокровищниц мира, были собраны по подписке.
- Древности Британского музея включают произведения искусства из мрамора, камня, бронзы и золота.
- Коллекции Музея естественной истории отражает историю животного и растительного мира, а также минералов.
- Особенность Национальной галереи состоит в сбалансированности ее коллекций.
- Особенно полно представлены итальянские и голландские мастера.
- Коллекции Галереи Тейта не охватывают весь спектр произведений искусства, но включают все значительные произведения Британской живописи и современного западного искусства.
- Коллекция Галереи Тейта включает работы Констебля, Блейка, Тернера и других британских мастеров.
- Уникальное собрание картин Тернера содержит 280 картин, написанных маслом.
- Коллекция скульптуры содержит работы Родена.
2. Antiquities of the British Museum include marbles, works of art in stone, bronze and gold.
3. Collections of the Natural History Museum cover the history of plants and animal kingdom, as well as minerals.
4. The National Gallery is noted for the balance of its collections.
5. Italian and Dutch masters are particularly well represented.
6. The collections of the Tate Gallery don’t cover the whole range of art; but they cover all that is significant in British painting and the modern Western art.
7. The collections of the Tate Gallery include works by Constable, Blake, Turner and other British painters.
8. The unique collection of Turners contains 280 oil paintings.
9. The sculpture collection contains works by Rodin.