Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
American Universities and Colleges
Higher education in the United States includes educational programmes which usually require for admission 12 years of elementary and secondary schooling. It is carried on under a number of forms.
The most common type of higher education is the college. It requires for admission graduation from a standard secondary school; its four-year curriculum leads to the bachelor’s degree in arts and sciences.
The American college is known by various titles such as the college of liberal arts, the college of arts and sciences, the college of literature, science and arts. The college may be the central unit around which the university is organized, or it may be a separate corporate entity, independent from the University.
The university in the United States is an educational institution comprising a college of liberal arts and sciences, a professional school leading to a professional degree and a graduate college (school). A graduate college provides programmes for study and research beyond the levels of the bachelor’s and first professional degree.
The word «university», however, is also used in a broader sense, for almost any type of educational institution offering instruction beyond the level of the secondary school.
Thus in the United States there is some confusion in the use of the terms «college» and «university». Some institutions that are in fact colleges of liberal arts have been incorporated in the universities. Some institutions incorporated in colleges are in fact universities with graduate and professional schools.
In addition to colleges and universities there is a large number of professional schools, separate from universities. They provide preparation in one or more professional fields, such as law, music or theology. Junior colleges or professional schools do not offer the full four-year curriculum leading to a degree.
An institute of technology is a degree-granting institution that specializes in science and technology; some of them have graduate study. An institution offering programs of technological study only at the junior college level is known as a technical institution.
The colleges in the United States differ greatly in size - they may include from 100 to 5 000 students and more. Most of the larger institutions fall into the category of universities, the largest being University of California, State University of New York, New York University, Columbia University and others.
Answer the questions:
- What do higher education institutions in the USA require for admission?
- What degree does a college lead to?
- What sense is the word «college» used in?
- What kind of educational institution is the University?
- What sense is the word «university» used in?
- What kind of preparation do professional schoools provide?
- What is an institute of technology?
- What is the size of colleges and universities in America?
Translate into English:
- Для поступления в университет или колледж в Америке необходимо закончить среднюю школу.
- В США существует несколько типов вузов: колледж, университет, профессиональный колледж и др.
- Университет обычно состоит из колледжа гуманитарных и естественных наук, профессионального отделения и аспирантуры.
- После 4 лет в университете студент получает степень бакалавра гуманитарных или естественных наук.
- Аспирантура предлагает программы выше уровня степени бакалавра и первой профессиональной степени.
- Университет может иметь колледж в своем составе; колледж может входить в университет или быть самостоятельной единицей.
- Профессиональный колледж - это учебное заведение, существующее отдельно от университета.
- Колледжи и университеты предлагают программы, после прохождения которых присваивается степень бакалавра.
- Технические институты также присваивают степени и часто предлагают курс аспирантуры.
2. In the USA, there are several types of higher education establishments: a college, a university, a professional college, etc.
3. A university usually comprises a college of liberal arts, a professional school and a graduate college.
4. After four years at a university a student gets a bachelor of arts or science degree.
5. A graduate college provides programs beyond the levels of the bachelor’s and the first professional degree.
6. A university may incorporate a college; a college may be incorporated into a university or be a separate entity.
7. A professional school is an educational establishment, separate from a university.
8. Colleges and universities offer programs leading to a bachelor’s degree.
9. Institutes of Technology is a degree-granting institution, too; many of them have graduate study.