Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
The United States of America
The Unites States of America are situated in the central part of the North American continent. Its western coast is washed by the Pacific Ocean and its eastern coast - by the Atlantic Ocean.
The total area of the USA is over nine million square kilometres.
The population of the USA is about 323 million people; most of the population lives in towns and cities.
The USA is a very large country, so it has several different climatic regions. The coldest regions are in the north and north-east. The south has a subtropical climate.
The United States is a land of rivers and lakes. The northern state of Minnesota is a land of 10 000 lakes. The longest rivers in the USA are the Mississippi, the Missouri and the Rio Grande. The highest mountains are the Rocky Mountains, the Cordillera and the Sierra Nevada.
The United States is rich in natural and mineral resources. It produces copper, oil, iron ore and coal. It is a highly-developed industrial and agricultural country.
There are many big cities in the USA, such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and others. The national capital is Washington, D.C. Its population is about 3,4 million. Washington was built in the late eighteenth century as the centre of government. It was named after George Washington.
The USA became the world leading country at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Answer the questions:
- What can you say about the geographical position of the United States of America?
- What is the total area and the population of the United States?
- What is the climate of the United States like?
- Why is the United States called a land of rivers and lakes?
- How can you characterize the natural and mineral resources of the country?
- What are the major cities of the United States?
Translate into English:
- Соединенные Штаты Америки расположены в центральной части материка Северная Америка и омываются Тихим и Атлантическим океанами.
- Население США, составляющее около 323 миллионов человек, живет, в основном (mostly), в городах.
- США - высокоразвитая промышленная и аграрная страна с богатыми природными ресурсами.
- США богаты полезными ископаемыми: медью, нефтью, железной рудой и углем.
- Столица страны, Вашингтон, получила название в честь Джорджа Вашингтона.
- США - одна из ведущих стран мира.
2. The population of the USA, which is about 323 million people, lives mostly in towns and cities.
3. The USA is a highly-developed industrial and agricultural country with rich natural resources.
4. The USA is rich in mineral resources: copper, oil, iron ore and coal.
5. The national capital, Washington, was named after George Washington.
6. The USA is one of the world leading countries.