Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
Edgar А. Рое
Edgar Рое is one of the most brilliant and original writers and poets in American literature. He was born in Boston in 1809 in a family of artists. When he was two years old, his mother and father died. His godfather and his wife raised him. He entered the University of Virginia but didn’t stay there long.
Edgar Poe published his first book of poems, «Tamerlane and other poems», in 1827. Two more volumes of verse were published in 1829 and 1831. None of these books won recognition of critics or of public. After publishing these three volumes he was an editor, a critic and a short-story writer for magazines and newspapers. His criticism was direct and clever. It made him a respected and feared critic.
Edgar Poe became the editor of a literary journal, but soon lost his position because of his drinking. He edited other magazines and newspapers in different cities of the USA. At that time he also began writing mystery stories. His short stories, such as «The Masque of the Red Death» and «The Fall of the House of Usher», create a world which is real and fantastic. He is considered the father of modern detective story. One of his most popular stories of this kind is «Murders in the Rue Morgue».
His book «The Raven and Other Poems» won him fame as poet at home and abroad. His poems («The Raven», «The Bells» and «Annabel Lее») are rich with musical phrases, rhythm and repetition of sounds. They are full of images that are not easy to forget.
Though Edgar Poe was more famous as a short-story writer, his poems are popular all over the world and have been translated into many languages. They are on the curriculum of British and American schools and colleges.
Answer the questions:
- What kind of education did Edgar A. Poe get?
- How did his career in literature begin?
- What kind of stories is he famous for?
- What were his first books of poems?
- What are his poems characterized by?
Translate into English:
- Эдгар По - один из самых блестящих и оригинальных писателей и поэтов Америки.
- Он не получил высшего образования.
- Эдгар По издавал сборники рассказов и стихов, был редактором и критиком.
- Его ранние сборники стихов не получили признания ни у публики, ни у критиков.
- Сборник стихов «Ворон и другие стихи» принес ему славу в стране и за рубежом.
- В его стихах много ритмических фраз.
- Стихи Эдгара По полны образов.
- По считают отцом детектива.
- Он был критиком, которого уважали и боялись.
2. He did not receive a higher education.
3. Edgar Poe published books of stories and poems, was an editor and a critic.
4. None of his early collections of poems were recognised by public or by critics.
5. His book of poems «The Raven and Other Poems» won him fame as a poet at home and abroad.
6. His poems are rich with rhythmical phrases.
7. Edgar Poe’s poems are full of images.
8. Poe is considered «father of the detective story».
9. He was a respectful and feared critic.