Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
Martin Luther King
Martin Luther King was a clergyman and one of the most prominent members of the civil rights movement in the 20th century.
He was born on January 15, 1929. He became famous in the 1950 and 1960es through opposition to racial segregation in the United States of America. King promoted non-violent methods of opposition such as boycotts or sit-ins.
In 1963 he helped organize the march on Washington; the march drew hundreds of thousands of civil rights supporters to Washington, D.C., for a mass rally. At this march he delivered his most celebrated speech. He stressed the importance of non-violent protest and described a possible future of racial harmony in the United States. He said: «I still have adream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream... I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character».
After this march Martin Luther King was put into jail; there he wrote his famous «Letter from Birmingham Jail», which he addressed to his fellow clergymen. In this letter he defended the civil rights movement saying that without forceful actions like this march, equal rights for black people would never be gained. He claimed that «one who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly». Such a person, King said, is showing respect for law because he insists that laws should be just.
In 1964 Martin Luther King received the Nobel Prize for peace. He was assassinated by James Earl Ray in 1968. A national holiday each January 15 commemorates his life.
Answer the questions:
- What did Martin Luther King become famous through?
- What kind of methods did he promote in his opposition to segregation?
- What was King’s dream?
- Why did he defend the civil rights movement?
- How is his life commemorated?
Translate into English:
- Мартин Лютер Кинг, один из выдающихся участников движения за гражданские права в Америке, поддерживал ненасильственные методы борьбы с расовой сегрегацией.
- Марш на Вашингтон, организованный Мартином Лютером Кингом, собрал сотни тысяч сторонников движения за гражданские права.
- В знаменитой речи, которую Мартин Лютер Кинг произнес на митинге, он подчеркнул важность ненасильственной борьбы с сегрегацией.
- Кинг надеялся, что в Америке людей будут оценивать не по цвету кожи, а по личным качествам.
- В «Письме из Бирмингемской тюрьмы» Мартин Лютер Кинг подчеркнул, что равные права для черных не могут быть достигнуты без применения таких «силовых мер», как этот марш.
- Он выступил в защиту движения, утверждая, что нарушить несправедливый закон - значит выразить уважение к закону.
- Мартин Лютер Кинг получил Нобелевскую премию за мир.
- 15 января в Америке отмечается день Мартина Лютера Кинга, увековечивающий его жизнь.
2. The march on Washington, organized by Martin Luther King, draw hundreds of thousands of supporters of civil rights movement.
3. In the most celebrated speech, delivered by Martin Luther King at the rally, he stressed the importance of non-violent protest against segregation.
4. King hoped that in America people would not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character.
5. In his «Letter from Birmingham Jail» Martin Luther King stressed that without forceful actions like this march, equal rights for black people would never be gained.
6. He defended the movement, claiming that to break an unjust law is to show respect for law.
7. Martin Luther King received the Nobel Prize for Peace.
8. On January 15 a national holiday in America commemorates his life.