Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
Higher Education in the USA
In the United States, a student who has finished high school, may want to continue in higher education. There are several ways to do it: universities, colleges, community colleges, and technical or vocational schools.
A university in the United States usually has several different colleges in it. Each has a special subject area. There may be a college of liberal arts where humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics are taught. There may be a college of education and a college of business. A program for undergraduates usually takes four years. University students get an undergraduate degree in the arts or sciences. If they complete a course of study they get Bachelor of Arts or Science degree. Students may leave the university at this time. They may also go on for a graduate or professional degree. The university always has programs for graduate and professional study in many subjects.
The university may get money from several different sources. A publicly funded university gets some money from the state government. A privately funded university gets money only from private sources. Or the university may be funded by a religious group.
College students usually spend four years at school, too. A college does not have graduate or professional programs. If a college student completes a course of study in arts or science, he or she gets Bachelor of Arts or Science degree. If college students want to continue for a graduate or professional degree, they must go to University. The college is usually funded in one of the three ways already described.
The program of study in the community college usually lasts two years. Not all of the subjects taught there are the usual school subjects. The community college may give courses in the regular academic subjects or subjects like dental technology, sewing and other non-academic subjects. Not all students of the community college have a high school diploma. They may then go to a college for two more years to get the bachelor’s degree. Community colleges are nearly always publicly funded.
The technical or vocational school has only job training, it has no academic program. Students may have a high school diploma, or not. Programs may take from six months to two years and more. The technical or vocational school gives training for work in areas such as electronics, carpentry and others.
Answer the questions:
- What are the ways to continue in higher education in the USA?
- What colleges does a university in the United States usually consist of?
- What degrees are offered at universities?
- What sources can a university get money from?
- What programs and degrees are offered at a college?
- What courses are given at a community college?
- What kind of program does a technical or a vocational school offer?
Translate into English:
- Молодые люди, окончившие школу, могут продолжить образование в университете, колледже, техническом или профессиональном училище.
- Колледжи университета специализируются в различных областях: гуманитарных, общественных и естественных науках, образовании или бизнесе.
- Университет предлагает программу для студентов, аспирантов и профессиональные программы.
- Если молодой человек заканчивает курс обучения, он получает степень бакалавра гуманитарных или естественных наук.
- Если студент продолжает обучение, он получает степень магистра или доктора или профессиональную степень.
- Университеты могут финансироваться из общественных или частных источников, а также религиозной общиной.
- Если студент колледжа заканчивает курс обучения гуманитарным или естественным наукам, он получает степень бакалавра.
- Местный колледж предлагает академические курсы и курсы неакадемических предметов.
- Технические и профессиональные училища предлагают подготовку в различных областях.
2. Each college of a university has a special subject area: humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, education or business.
3. A university has a program for undergraduates, a program for graduates and professional programs.
4. If a young man completes a course of study, he gets bachelor of arts or science degree.
5. If a student continues the course of study, he gets a graduate, or a professional degree.
6. Universities may get money from state or private sources; they may also be funded by a religious group.
7. If a student of a college completes a course of study in arts or science, he gets a bachelor degree in arts or science.
8. A community college has academic courses and courses of non-academic subjects.
9. Technical and vocational schools give preparation in different fields.