Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
All British children must stay at school from the age of 5 until they are 16. Many of them stay longer and take final examinations when they are 17 or 18. Before 1965 all children of state schools had to go through special intelligence tests. There were different types of state secondary schools and at the age of 11 children went to different schools in accordance with the results of the tests.
State schools are divided into the following types:
Grammar schools. Children who go to grammar schools are usually those who show a preference for academic subjects, although many grammar schools now also have some technical courses.
Technical schools. Some children go to technical schools. Most courses there are either commercial or technical.
Modern Schools. Boys and girls who are interested in working with their hands and learning in a practical way can go to a technical school and learn some trade.
Comprehensive schools. These schools usually combine all types of secondary education. They have physics, chemistry, biology laboratories, machine workshops for metal and woodwork and also geography, history and art departments, commercial and domestic courses.
There are also many schools which the State does not control. They are private schools. They charge fees for educating children, and many of them are boarding schools, at which pupils live during the term time.
After leaving school many young people go to colleges of further education. Those who become students at Colleges of Technology (called «Techs») come from different schools at different ages between 15 and 17. The lectures at such colleges, each an hour long, start at 9,15 in the morning and end at 4,45 in the afternoon.
Answer the questions:
- At what ages must British children stay at school?
- What groups are state schools divided into?
- What is a private school?
- What do many young people do after leaving school?
Translate into English:
- Британские дети должны учиться в школе с 5 до 16 лет.
- Учащиеся государственных школ сдавали экзамены на уровень интеллектуального развития и шли в среднюю школу в соответствии с его результатами.
- В «грамматических» школах учились дети, которые обнаруживали склонность к академическим предметам.
- «Технические» школы предлагают (offer) коммерческие или технические курсы.
- В «современных» школах дети получали профессию.
- В общеобразовательных школах сочетаются все виды образования.
- Государство не контролирует частные школы.
- Обычные частные школы и частные школы-интернаты берут плату за обучение.
- После школы молодые люди могут поступать в колледжи дальнейшего образования.
2. Pupils of state schools had to go through special intelligence tests and went to secondary schools in accordance with its result.
3. Children who went to grammar schools were those who showed preference for academic subjects.
4. Technical schools offer commercial or technical courses.
5. At modern schools children learnt a trade.
6. Comprehensive schools combine all types of education.
7. The state does not control private schools.
8. Usual private schools and boarding private schools charge fees for education.
9. After leaving school young people may go to Colleges of Further Education.