Тема / Топик по английскому языку:
Moscow is the capital of Russia, its administrative, economic, political and educational centre. It is one of Russia’s major cities with the population of about 9 million people. Its total area is about 900 thousand square kilometres.
The city was founded by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky and was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1147. At that time it was a small frontier settlement. By the 15th century Moscow had grown into a wealthy city.
In the 16th century, under Ivan the Terrible, Moscow became the capital of the state of Muscovy. In the 18th century Peter the Great transferred the capital to St. Petersburg, but Moscow remained the heart of Russia. That is why it became the main target of Napoleon’s attack in 1812. During the war of 1812 three quarters of the city were destroyed by fire, but by the middle of the 19th century Moscow was completely rebuilt.
The present-day Moscow is the seat of the government of the Russian Federation. President of Russia lives and works here; government offices are located here, too.
Moscow is a major industrial city. Its leading industries are engineering, chemical and light industries.
Moscow is known for its many historical buildings, museums and art galleries, as well as for the famous Bolshoi, Maly and Art theatres. There are more than 80 museums in Moscow, among them the unique Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts and the State Tretyakov Gallery, the Andrey Rublyov Museum of Early Russian Art and many others.
Moscow is a city of science and learning. There are over 80 higher education institutions in the city, including a number of universities.
Answer the questions:
- What is the role of Moscow in Russia?
- When was Moscow founded?
- When did it become the capital?
- What part does the present-day Moscow play in the life of Russia.
Translate into English:
- Москва - административный, экономический, политический центр России и один из крупнейших городов страны.
- Население Москвы - около 12,5 миллионов человек, общая площадь - 900 000 кв. километров.
- Москва была основана Юрием Долгоруким и впервые упоминалась в летописях в 1147 году.
- Из пограничного поселка Москва превратилась в процветающий город, столицу Московии.
- Москва осталась центром России и стала основной целью Наполеона при нападении на Россию.
- Москва - крупный промышленный город, город науки и образования.
2. The population of Moscow is about 12,5 million people; its total area is about 900 thousand square kilometres.
3. Founded by Yuri Dolgoruky, Moscow was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1147.
4. From a frontier settlement, Moscow turned into a wealthy city, the capital of Muscovy.
5. Moscow remained the centre of Russia and became the main target of Napoleon’s attack.
6. Moscow is a major industrial city, a city of science and education.